锘? Do you agree with what the greatest Self-Help Success author of all time Napoleon Hill (author of Think & Grow Rich) said Mattia Perin Maglia , "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe it will achieve"?

I've learned-- often the hard ways-- that what your mind believes you will ALWAYS achieve: Good, bad or indifferent. Unless and until something comes along to "change your mind."

Your beliefs create your paradigm of life-- the way it is, whatever the "it" is we're talking about. There are paradigms for every domain of life and work.

A paradigm is your belief about the way it is. It's your "worldview" of the matter no matter what's the matter.

A classic example of a marketplace paradigm (worldview, belief) is the wristwatch: Until the 1970s, geared timepieces-- the "Swiss watch"-- were the dominant paradigm; jeweled movements, mainsprings, winding mechanisms (think Rolex). With the development of cheap semi-conductors and wafer thin batteries, the quartz watch (think Seiko)-- with its greater accuracy and low price-- became the new paradigm of wristwatches.

In a more a human arena, a paradigm is the underlying belief we are operating from.

Our beliefs are habits of thought-- those things we think about a given subject most consistently and frequently and for the longest time-- and the associated feelings that come with those thoughts. Beliefs and memories are the same thing. A memory becomes a belief the more often it's recalled and the more powerfully we infuse it with our emotional energy.

One important thing to know about our beliefs and memories is they are NOT the truth. They are always our interpretations of events in the past. Just like six eye-witnesses to the same street crime will describe six different sets of details... or at various stages and ages in our lives we remember the exact same incident very differently.

Our memories and beliefs-- our paradigms-- are NOT real. We MAKE THEM UP.

And they can change in an instant when new, more compelling information becomes available.

The following is a true story told by Frank Koch, which appeared in an issue of Proceedings Daniele Padelli Maglia , the magazine of the United States Naval Institute. It dramatically illustrates how one simple, yet profound new bit of information completely changed a very big paradigm 180 degrees in an instant.

As background, let me explain that at the time of this story, a battleship was THE most formidable navel war vessel in the world. It was three football fields long (longer than most skyscrapers are tall), weighed 50,000 tons and carried a crew of 1500 sailors. It also had nine 16" guns that could fire a one-ton explosive "bullet" and blow up a target as small as a tank 23 miles away.

Two battleships assigned to the training squadron had been at sea on maneuvers in heavy weather for several days. Koch was serving on the lead battleship and was standing watch on the bridge as night fell. He recounts his experience.

"The visibility was extremely poor with patchy fog, so the captain remained on the bridge, keeping an eye on our navigation activities."

"Shortly after dark, the lookout on the wing of the bridge reported, 'Light, bearing on the starboard bow!'

"The captain called out Francesco Acerbi Maglia , 'Is it steady or moving astern?'

"The lookout replied, 'Steady, captain,' which meant that we were on a collision course with that source of light.

"The captain then called to the signalman, 'Signal that ship: We are on a collision course. . . advise you change course 20 degrees.'

"Back came the signal from the other ship. 'Advisable for you to change course 20 degrees!'

"The captain barked, 'Send, I'm a captain. . . change course 20 degrees immediately.'

"'I'm a seaman second-class,' came the reply. 'You had better change course 20 degrees!'"

"By this time, the captain was furious. He spat out, 'Send, I am a battleship! Change course 20 degrees.'

"Back came the signal from the flashing light. . .'

"I am a lighthouse. . ."

All it takes to change a paradigm-- or a belief-- even the most firmly entrenched and universally agreed upon Alessandro Florenzi Maglia , is one new piece of "compelling" information.

Admittedly, with a belief that you and I have held on to as our dominant paradigm for 20, 30, 40 years or more, that may require some focused and consistent effort over time. But if the experts are correct and you can establish a new habit in 21 to 28 days. . . you're always less than one month away from changing your life for the better forever.

So, how do you know what your beliefs are?

Look at your life right now. . .